Diary: Badminton Elbow & Media Consumption


So apparently this week I've been thinking a lot about books and how I read them and react to them and things. I'm definitely sensitive to certain media and certain types of stories and scenarios and I guess I wanted to analyse that and different responses and/or solutions. Sometimes I feel overly vulnerable because of emotional reactions I have to fictional things, but I have to remember that fiction is supposed to make me feel something. I don't have to react the same way as other people do and I am almost definitely not the only person having my reaction.

This was mostly prompted by some things I found frustrating and upsetting in The Wise Man's Fear, the second book in Patrick Rothfuss' unfinished fantasy trilogy (the first of which I reviewed here). It was good to think about my insecurities and whether or not my emotional responses to fictional worlds and events on a wider scale is a problem, though, and to remind myself that yes, it's okay to feel sad about sad things in books. I don't have to feel a certain way and I don't have to engage with things that I suspect could provoke a painful response.


In happier and less introspective book news, I've finally started reading The Hunger Games. So far I really like it. I love the quick unfurling of the setting and so many little details about Katniss. I don't know if I've ever read a book where a girl's armpit hair was specifically referred to before, but I really liked that detail. I'm quite excited to read through the whole series and then watch the films. It's a lot of fun to swoop in on a popular series you've managed to accidentally evade for ages. Its popularity means I already know some spoilers, but I don't mind. I don't find that spoilers ruin things for me, and in some cases I actually prefer to be spoiled before I read or watch something.



Aside from books, my week has consisted of some delightful food happenings (strawberry punnets reduced to 10p, mint chocolate chip ice creams, and two beautiful scotch eggs with a side of purple coleslaw and baby gherkins), a fun game of badminton, and a bit of collaging. Elliot and I played badminton on Saturday even though it was pretty windy, so the shuttlecock kept trying to flee for outer space. We had aching arms the day after, but it was the best.

Here's something I drew in my red Moleskine journal yesterday:


I feel like doing lots of biro drawings and ominous, spindly clouds. We'll see.

4 comments:

  1. I love your colorful journal and moleskin drawing! I wish I drew as much as you seem to, but it's hard to make time for it. I think it's definitely normal to experience deep emotions when reading fiction; I'm sure the authors would be quite flattered to hear!

    I don't have a skeleton limerick today, but hopefully next time!

    Angelina Is | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, some authors I don't want to flatter though >:-) Thank you, thank you. Yeah, I make a lot time for it I guess, but it's almost an instinct now. Years ago I had to push myself a lot more to do it. Looking forward to that skeleton limerick some day! :-)

      Delete
  2. I don't think I'll truly ever get over the beauty that goes into your journals! It must take so much committment to have to literally write something everyday and make it look *amazing* <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much. From lots of experience with doing various things on a daily basis, I feel like anything I do every day just becomes a routine after a while. I mean, I do put in effort to maintain it, but it does feel like second nature to a certain extent. I feel like so much can be easier if you put it in a routine.

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x