Bees & Berries


I have seen a lot of blackberries lately, lurking about on roadsides and hanging around trees (literally). A few have already been picked by me and my fellow berry pincher in the last couple of weeks (as enjoyed via a delightful blackberry and apple crumble which I would've liked to eat much more of), but we found even more this week and filled up another carrier bag with them.


We both agreed that we prefer raspberries, which is a bit rude to discuss when the blackberries are in earshot (sorry, I'm sure someone else thinks you're much better than raspberries). That's not to say that blackberries aren't good, but they're just not our favourite berries. It's important to consider your berry preferences.


The bramble we visited was pretty huge. We could probably live in there. Build a little bramble castle. It is by a main road though, so probably not the best location.


The thorns in this shot remind me of the massive forest of thorns the prince has to cut down in Disney's Sleeping Beauty (spoiler). The aesthetic of those dark, twisted branches is probably one of my favourite Disney moments ever, and I think we should have that around our hypothetical castle in the brambles.


There was also a lone bumblebee buzzing around us, so of course I invaded its space for a photograph like some kind of terrible bee paparazzi. Hanging around bees is a strong favourite pastime of mine at the moment. I'm like a third wheel, but with bees. A third wing.


I lost the bee pretty quickly. Bees are way too fast for me. I would love to watch a bee Formula One. I then took more pictures of the blackberries instead because they can't fly away and reject me.


I took photos of the berries while Elliot diligently crouched down in a bush to retrieve them. You will never see a man concentrate so hard on berries. I mean, unless you're at a berry convention. Do berry conventions exist? Sign me up.


One day soon I will write a story for one of those "SHOCKING REAL LIFE STORIES" magazines entitled "The Day My Boyfriend's Face Merged With A Bramble Patch".


Here's an artistic berry family silhouette. I am available for berry weddings and berry bar/bat mitzvahs (please find my contact link in the sidebar if you are a berry looking for a photographer).


That is all the berry news and gossip I have for now.

10 comments:

  1. I love going blackberry picking! It's something I've done ever since I was a kid and it's nice doing something with my dad and sister that doesn't involve any technology haha x

    Ariadna || RAWR BOWS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice sometimes to be away from electronics, and in this case you get a nice tasty berry so it's just... great. It always reminds me of being little too.

      Delete
  2. Wow - none of out berries are ready yet up here in Scotland - we have had such a terrible summer it will definitely be a few more weeks yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, yeah I've heard about the summer you're having up there. Hopefully you get a nice bit of warm soon. We could definitely spare some, it's been a bit too hot lately!

      Delete
  3. Blackberry picking is so awesome, this make me remember the times when I picked blackberries near to our house.

    beautiful post <3 <3
    Mushroom Rain Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when they pop up just about everywhere! I'm probably never that far from a blackberry patch.

      Delete
  4. Love blackberry season. Looking at your gorgeous photos makes me want to bake a blackberry and apple crumble right now!

    Stephanie Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you bake one can you please email a slice to me? :-)

      Delete
  5. I personally love blackberries more than raspberries only because picking blackberries with my grandma in random places is one of my best memories of her. xx

    www.essibell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer raspberries as berries, but picking blackberries is the quintessential berry picking experience. And they're everywhere, like stars.

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x