The Smell Of Rain


It's raining really hard outside as I write this. I'm all alone in Elliot's house with 2 dogs, a cat, and a starling. The stiff back door is open, because apparently I'm strong enough to open it, but not to shut it. Today I joined Vine, Snapchat, and Phhhoto (@mothcub on all of them). So far I think Phhhoto is really cool, I unexpectedly love Vine a lot, and Snapchat isn't really seeming very interesting. It's been fun parading around the house for something to take photos and videos of. I mostly settled for stuff involving me or Dodo (the cat). Here's a vine to illustrate what I'm talking about:


Whilst that's been extremely distracting, it is not what I want to write a blog post about (although I know I have a lot of things to say about all of my fun time on social media). It's been raining for hours and I can hear the rain thundering against the walls and all. It's such an immense and yet soothing sound. I know British people are obsessed with complaining about the weather, and I get that rain is annoying to be in because of the whole moisture aspect, but I kinda love rain. It makes a good smell and sound, and being touched by the rain or the air it's cooled down makes me feel really conscious and alive. Cold water gives my brain some clarity. It also reminds me of camping and mountains and things, so I guess there's a nostalgia and fondness associated. When it rains after a really warm period, it sort of feels like coming home. My body knows its natural environment is in a big jumper.

I sort of wish I could actually be the rain, all cold and pelting down and covering everything, but actually I'm a bit scared of heights so it probably wouldn't be very nice. Do you know what I mean though? I wish I could leave my body and be a sequence of raindrops.

3 comments:

  1. I get you xD I love it when it rains, and I can snuggle up in blankets and be all cozy in fluffy socks and jumpers. It kept raining so I came up with a great idea for a blog post, but now it refuses to rain, so I can't get the pictures I wanted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw haha well I hope it rains again soon!

      Delete
  2. I agree, rain is sooo peaceful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, especially if they include limericks about skeletons.
x